Focusing towards improving the quality of life of poor and marginalized people living in rural areas lies at the core of its over-all mission. Responding to this, initial step was taken to organize these people in their groups to institutionalize their efforts. In all, 50 farmer clubs were organized with membership 2000 small and marginalized farmers in Tetariya block of East Champaran district. These group members are capacitated to go with the various agriculture based interventions in an organized manner on mutual support basis. As their collective initiative, one farmer resource centre could be established with the facility of small agriculture implements and technical support.
Scanty Percolation of technologies and improved agricultural practices was identified as one of the major challenges to be addressed upon in the area. JNK, in support with Tata Trusts under agriculture project started in April 2012, field trials and piloting of technologies and improved agriculture practices (SRI, SSP, zero-tillage, coco-peat nurseries etc.) was made in a land area of 1184 acres during last 3 years. A context specific package of agriculture practices (PoPs) has been devised on the basis of results from these demonstrations and in consultation with agriculture scientists and experts. 500 demonstrations on recycling of organic wastes and green manuring by 1155 farmers in an area of 1800.6 acres were organized under soil health improvement initiatives. All this could reduce the cost of cultivation and enhance crop productivity of above small farmers in Maniyarpur village. During 2014-15, coco-peat technology was used by 2130 farmers for developing nursery of tomato and pumpkin as high value crop to cover an area of 2180 acres.
Under its goat based livelihood intervention, induction of 400 quality goats was made involving 400 poor farming families. Improved goat rearing practices to reduce mortality and improve body weight were introduced through Pashu Sakhi approach.
The entire venture has been quite useful and provided significant learnings particularly for strengthening agriculture based livelihoods. The case studies and facts sheets were documented to share these learnings with other development players.
In addition to above, health promotion activities were also carried out with particular focus on reproductive child health approach. The chief executive of the organization has been associated with UNICEF to promote child health activities. Participation in water and sanitation programme was also made. Health is the major concern for the destitutes in this area.
The initiatives taken by JNK to strengthen agriculture based livelihood has started creating impact at this initial stage but the withdrawl of Tata Trusts’ support would impact sustainability and low upscaling as conceived by the organization. It needs technical and financial support as well for at least additional 3 years to sustain techno-managerial focused development seeking behaviour among the farmers. Upscaling with minimum 4000 small farming households would be required to create large impact in the area while thinking about high value crop promotion. Dearth of resources and poor affordability of technologies (equipments/implements & vital inputs) remains at the crux which require collective action and external support. The key social issues of education and health have significance to these poor families and need support to mitigate vulnerabilities. Mal-nutrition among children and women is common which would require alternatives appropriate to farmers through easy access within their resources. Access to education facilities through school enrolment of children from these families including mainstreaming of dropped outs has been perceived to be another crucial issue in this area. These are very specific issues which JNK finds to be taken up in response to its set organizational objectives.
The major activities undertaken by the organization are as follows :-
- Conducted pollution control programme in Bairiya of Muzzaffarpur district in Bihar State.
- Conducted seminar on National Integration in Muzaffarpur District of Bihar State.
- Conducted I.S.M & Health programme in Muzaffarpur district of Bihar State.
- Consumer awareness programme in Muzzaffarpur district in Bihar State.
- Conduted Vocational Training programme for weaker sections of the Society in Muzzaffarpur district ofBihar State.
- Rural development programme in backward areas of Muzaffarpur district in Bihar State.
- S.H.G formation & Training in Muzaffarpur district in Bihar State.
- NEAC programme in Muzaffarpur district of Bihar State. Aids awareness programme in Muzaffarpur district in Bihar State.
- Running health awareness camp in Muzaffarpur district of Bihar State.
- Conducted RCH programme in various blocks of Muzaffarpur district.
- Conducted Survey of Child Labour under Flood relief camp in Muzaffarpur district, of Bihar State.
- Our organization worked for literacy in Muzaffarpur district of Bihar State.
- Conducted survey of illiterates.
- Conducted awareness and mobilization works
- Selection of Resource persons, Master trainers, Voluntary trainers.
- Having dedicated Management body as well as grass root workers.
- We generated awareness on environment and Water & Saintation.